Sunday, September 10, 2006

Emailing my high school hero

Well, I pulled up my high school website, found a faculty list, and lo and behold - that teacher is still working there. And it had an email address for him. So I emailed him.

I briefly explained who I was and what he did for me and thanked him for changing my life. I wonder if he'll respond? It doesn't really matter, though. It was enough for me to just let him know that he made a huge difference in my life.

I told him I'm now happily married, but I did tell him one thing, however, that wasn't true. I said I'm doing wonderful. I know, I know. That's so far from the truth it's ridiculous. But I didn't want to tell him that I've had a very hard life and am unstable most of the time. I didn't want to tell him I have bipolar. I believe he's already more than met his lifetime quota of listening to my problems.

All I wanted him to know is that he changed my life when he saved it.

How cool would it be if you got an email from someone you knew almost 20 years ago and they told you how pivotal you were in their life? That you really made a difference. I bet that teachers love to hear things like that.

I hope it makes him feel very good. He deserves to feel wonderful for what he did for me.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

hey that was such an awesome thing to do! i hope he responds. sometimes i feel embarassed to tell people "oh hey - thanks for saving my life and all". whatever i'm proud like that. but you inspired me, maybe one day i'll get around to doing it too.